Thursday, December 17, 2009

Artist Statement

Artist Statement

The goal of my art pieces is to send a message to my viewers. Manipulating photographs and editing video footage using fancy software such as Photoshop and Final Cut Pro helps me to get creative. The topics that I have chosen thus far are underage drinking and cheating. Our culture looks down upon these activities, however many college students disregard the rules. I do not know how many people I can reach with my art, but I would like to create more artwork with the purpose of helping others to make better decisions.

The collaborative video project was my first real experience working with video and editing software. This is a very effective medium for reaching large amounts of people, especially because of YouTube, so my group decided to post the video online. A documentary style video that condemns cheating without preaching against it is most effective because the students that are prone to cheating all have their own reasons (whether valid or not) to cheat. Using a comedic edge to reach those students should represent how ridiculous cheating is.

Thankfully, two members of my group for the collaborative video project were very fluent in Final Cut Pro, so I had the opportunity to learn from them. They were very influential throughout the entire process, from setting up a scene, to capturing the entire shot, and all the way down to editing the bits and pieces into the final product. I have a lot to learn from them, but I am glad that all of our visions for this video came together in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment